Chi-Town so far....


   
         Settling into Chicago has been interesting in the least. The First day we got here we missed leasing office hours and had to grab a hotel near our apartment complex. The next day we woke bright and early ready to get moved in. I Always get a little culture shocked when we first move to certain new areas especially if its a bigger city. And I don't mean that as much in the sense of people culture shock and more a lifestyle culture shock ( Toll roads everywhere, indoor corridor living)  Im always Excited but immediately home sick the first couple days. Its hard but I am also grateful for it. I feel like I get to know myself a little more each summer and grow immensely as a person. As hard as it is to move, adjust, and get new routines down every summer I feel So blessed we have been able to see so much of the U.S. and not only see it briefly but live in Major cities and see all the in's and outs of those cities. We've also been able to meet so many amazing people along the way.  Our apartment complex is very urban style you have to got through 2 doors unlock one just to get into the lobby and then take an elevator up to our floor. Apartments are all inside corridor. I don't necessarily like this but Im sure it is for safety purposes.
     Our first night in our apartment was a rough one Keaton wasn't feeling well and of course being in an unfamiliar area was making him extra uncomfortable. Needless to say he kept waking up that night and crying. Around 3:30 a.m. he got really upset and I was trying to calm him down when I hear this banging I mean REALLY loud banging. I come out to where the front door is and realize someone is banging on our door. I look through the peephole and see this lady standing there furious well she keeps banging and so I open the door a few inches, she immediately starts cursing me and yelling and badmouthing me as a parent saying I need to do something to I quote "CALM THAT FREAKING KID DOWN" I mean she was REALLY angry. Well I didn't say anything to her after about 5 min of listening to her I just closed the door in her face. For the rest of that night every time time the boys made any noise she would bang on the wall of their bedroom -- that sure helped make them feel more comfortable...... NOT!
      After that first night I was ready to throw in the towel super sleep deprived starting to get sick and miserable about that lady.
     Well Mike being sure I would feel better once settled and having as close to a home routine as possible called got me a gym membership , started getting internet set up we went to look for a work desk to set up a mini whimsy office for me over here and so on so forth. Well we ran into that lady that had yelled at me the night before. Turns out she 1. had to have back surgery first thing that a.m. so was super tired and hungry the night before and 2. thought I was neglecting keaton and just ignoring him so her furry was part worry. We chatted a bit and I explained he's sick and scared and where I was coming from and turns out she is a nice person. Kaleb and her grand-daughter have even rode bikes together once since then.
     So regardless of my first impression panicking I've learned this area is not as intimidating as it looks ( although I am not naive I know there are some extremely ghetto and dangerous hoods, and Ill always be careful and cautious) but People are fairly nice for the most part.
     Aside from being super sick things are going good! Mikes been selling, the kids are enjoying themselves and seeing their cute little friends Mack and Oscar again as well as sharing a room good at night and sleeping good. Im getting into a routine and finding fun things to fill our days over here!

Here are some pictures of our Sunday by Navy Pier in Chicago!

P.S. In the City gas is a minimum of 3.99 usually more and if you want to park anywhere I mean even McDonnald's parking lot its a 9.00 fee and $2 extra every hour after. Parking garages are $25 flat rate! cray cray! Even D.C. was only $15 for a parking garage. And fast food is WAY more here than it is back home.










CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top